Today we have marinated chunks of grilled chicken breast served over a bed of lettuce with feta, fresh diced tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, black olives, red onions, parsley and dill tossed in olive oil and fresh lemon juice. These recipes give chicken on a stick a flavourful twist and are a wonderful high protein, low fat, low carb, low calorie, gluten-free main dish salad! The video shows you how to cook up a delicious Greek Chicken Souvlaki.
~ Lower Calorie Chicken Kebab Salad ~
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 1/4 cups cucumber, peeled
- 1 1/4 cups diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh dillweed
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, grated (omit for paleo)
- lemon wedges for serving
- Marinate the chicken at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes if grilling outdoors.
- Combine the first 12 salad ingredients (cucumbers through salt and black pepper, not the lettuce) and set aside in the refrigerator to let the flavours set.
- Thread chicken on 4 skewers and cook on a hot grill (indoor or outdoor grill) until chicken is cooked though, about 10-12 minutes.
- Divide lettuce between four plates, top with tomato-cucumber salad, fresh grated feta cheese and grilled chicken.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1/4th – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 239.6, Fat: 7.8 g, Protein: 28.3 g, Carbohydrate: 8.9 g, Fibre: 2.5 g, Sugar: 2 g