You’ve probably had turkey burgers that were either extremely dry or extremely mushy, but not this recipe! This video recipe will show you how to make turkey burgers that are juicy, moist and flavourful.
~ Lower Calorie Turkey Burgers ~
Lean, delicious, juicy turkey burgers made with zucchini and topped with tomato & bruschetta over a bed of baby arugula – no bun required!
- 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup, or 5 oz)
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp red onion, grated
- salt and fresh pepper
- oil spray
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 oz part skim mozzarella, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into 10 thin slices
- 4 loose cups baby arugula
- Combine the red onion, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Set aside a few minutes while you chop the tomatoes, then place in the bowl.
- Add the garlic, basil and additional salt and pepper, to taste and mix well and set aside. Toss in the cheese when ready to serve.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini in a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, shredded zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Form into 5 equal sized patties about 5 oz each, forming them as flat as possible.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- When hot, lightly spray with oil.
- Add the burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook until browned, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes, careful not to burn.
- To serve, arrange 3 slices of tomatoes on each dish, then place 1 cup arugula on top in the centre, then top with the burger and cheese, serve right away.
Serves 5 – Serving Size: 1 burger – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 288, Fat: 14 g, Carbohydrate: 10 g, Fibre: 2 g, Protein: 27 g