A delicious combination of apples, raisins, and cinnamon fills these low fat turnovers. By using frozen Fillo dough an Apple Turnover goes from 9 grams of fat down to 1 gram of fat, with only 135 calories. These are delicious and you won’t miss the fat at all. Serve warm with low fat ice cream for a lovely dessert.
Easy Apple Turnovers
- 3 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 apples peeled,cored,and chopped.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 pkg frozen fillo dough thawed
- Thaw the Fillo dough and preheat oven to 350 degree’s.
- In a large saucepan, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg then add the chopped apples and raisins.
- Stir and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes,or until apples have softened,and you can pierce them with a fork.
- Add the lemon juice and stir, then remove from heat, and cool.
- Roll out fillo pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 4″x4″ squares.
- Spoon 2 tbsp (20 g) of the apple mixture into the centre of the square.
- Fold pastry over to create a triangle, and with the tines of a fork that has been dipped in flour, press the pastry down to create a seal, on all sides.
- Spray a baking sheet with low calorie cooking spray.
- Add the turnovers to the baking sheet and lightly brush with egg wash.
- Place turnovers in a preheated oven, according to the package instructions.
- Bake 15 – 20 mins until the turnovers are golden brown and puffed up.
- Serve warm with low fat ice cream,or yoghurt.
Serves 12 – 14
Calories: 135, Fat: 1g