Broccoli is an all-star food with many health benefits. While low in calories, broccoli is rich in many essential vitamins and minerals, in addition to fibre. Cream of Broccoli is a favourite of ours, but when you order this in a restaurant, it’s loaded with fat. Today we have two slimmed down Cream of Broccoli recipes that are quick and easy to prepare.
- 3 x 15 oz cans fat free chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarians)
- 1/2 cup milk (2 percent)
- 2 tbsp low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 5 cups broccoli florets (head of 2 large bunches)
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium sized stock pot, bring chicken broth, onions, carrots, garlic, and celery to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, milk and pepper and cook, covered, 10 more minutes.
- Add sour cream and puree soup.
- Adjust pepper to taste and heat through over medium heat.
- Add cheddar cheese and serve.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 185, Fat: 8g, Protein: 11g, Carbohydrate: 20g, Fibre: 7g