It can be quick and easy to make cottage pie from scratch in about 30 minutes. Add a twist by adding the mixture to baked potatoes to get a delicious and cheap family meal.
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 500g lean beef mince
- 50 g frozen peas
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 190 ml beef stock
- 1 Tbsp flour
- salt & pepper
- knob of butter
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 6 Potatoes
- Prick the potatoes with a fork and heat on full power in the microwave for 10 minutes. Allow to cool while you make the filling.
- Dice and fry the onion on a medium heat until it slightly wilts. Dice the carrot and add it to the pan, cooking for 3 minutes. Add the mince and break it up with a spoon. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, the thyme and the beef stock then sprinkle over 1 Tbsp of flour. Stir again, then cook for 5-10 minutes until the sauce is reduced.
- Cut the microwaved potatoes in half and scoop out most of the soft filling with a spoon, leaving a thin layer of potato around the edge of the skin.
- Add the butter, milk and some salt & pepper to the cooked potato and mash it until creamy.
- Fill the hollowed out potatoes with the beef mixture.
- Pipe the mashed potatoes on top of the beef mixture.
- Bake in the centre of a preheated oven at 200°C/400°F for 15 to 18 minutes until the mashed potato has browned to perfection.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per serving
Calories: 394, Protein 50g, Carbohydrate 79g, Fat 31 g, Fibre 7g