These moist and chewy granola bars are loaded with chocolate chips, raisins and pecans in every bite. Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. The video shows you how to make granola bars and the lower calorie version is below the video.
Lower Calorie Chewy Granola Bars with Pecans, Raisins and Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup oat flour (or 1 cup oats finely ground in food processor or blender)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick oats – use gluten-free oats if you are on a gluten free diet
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 9 x 9 baking pan with 2 long pieces of parchment paper, long enough to go up over the sides for easy removal. Lightly spray with oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer cream together the butter and the sugar on medium speed.
- Add the egg followed by the honey, apple sauce and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chocolate chips, raisins and nuts.
- Spoon oats onto prepared baking dish, flattening to make even.
- Bake for about 23-25 minutes, or until light brown at the edges.
They will seem soft and undercooked, but once they cool they will set completely.
- Cool completely on a wire rack then refrigerate before cutting. This will help them hold together better.
Serves 16 – Serving Size: 1 square or bar – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 183, Fat: 8g, Carbohydrate: 29g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 3g, Sugar: 17g