If your sweet tooth beckons have a slice of this Banana Bread. The combination of flavours, sweet bananas paired with vanilla and cinnamon, is sure to please. This is not only good with your morning coffee but this banana bread made with ripe bananas and chocolate chips is sure to leave a smile on anyone’s face.
Lower Calorie Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 3 ripe medium bananas
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 oz mini chocolate chips
- Baking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray a non-stick loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mash bananas in a bowl, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add egg whites, bananas, apple sauce, vanilla; beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture, then blend at low speed until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into muffin pan and bake them for about 25 minutes. Or you could use one large 8 x 5-inch loaf, but cooking time will be closer to 50 – 60 minutes.
- Bake on the centre rack until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
If you make these as muffins:
Serves 12 – Serving Size: 1 muffin – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 132, Fat: 3g, Carbohydrate: 27g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 3g, Sugar: 14g
Serves 8 – Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 198, Fat: 5g, Carbohydrate: 40g, Fibre: 4g, Protein: 4g, Sugar: 22g