If you love chicken and mushroom pie, it usually comes topped with pastry, but this version is different! Each pie is topped with mashed potato and then baked until it is bubbling and golden.
- 900g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 85ml vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- low calorie cooking spray
- 4 baby leeks, finely chopped
- 4 lean rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed and roughly chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g baby button mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 level tbsp chicken gravy granules (2 1/2 Syn per level tbsp)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- A small handful of fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas 7.
- Boil the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain, return to the pan and add the vegetable stock.
- Mash until smooth, season and set aside.
- Preheat a large, non-stick pan over a medium heat and brown the chicken breasts.
- Add the leeks, bacon, spring onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Stir-fry over a high heat for 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, gravy granules and mustard powder.
- Season, bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 5-6 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Spoon into four individual pie dishes, or one medium-size one.
- Top each pie with the mashed potato to form a ‘lid’ and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
1/2 Syn per serving