You won’t believe how quickly this classic dish comes together, and how easy it is to make. Use fat free yoghurt and low fat milk in place of the cream and you will have a lightened up version that is pretty good and not too complicated to make.
~ Lower Calorie Chicken Tikka Marsala ~
- 2 tsp canola oil or you could use butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 4 oz fat free yoghurt
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 16 oz (2 boneless) chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro (or to taste)
- Heat oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until golden.
- Add the crushed ginger, stir for a few minutes then add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, and salt; mix well until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, yogurt and milk.
- Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add a generous amount of chopped cilantro and serve with Basmati Rice or Naan.
Serves: 4 – Serving Size: 3 oz chicken + sauce – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 190, Fat: 5g, Carbohydrate: 12g, Fibre: 2g, Protein: 24g, Sugar: 5g