Macaroni and cheese is great on its own, but if you want to make it even better, then try this version. Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese is an easy recipe that you’ll want to make over and over again. The addition of broccoli adds nutrition, colour, and variety. This is easy to make and easy to eat. If you have kids at home who don’t like to eat their broccoli, this is a good way to get them to eat it.
~ Lower Calorie Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese ~
- 12 oz high fibre elbows
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth (vegetarians use vegetable broth)
- 8 oz (2 cups) reduced-fat sharp cheddar
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- Cook pasta and broccoli together in a large pot of salted water, according
to package directions for al dente (or slightly under cook 2 minutes).
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, melt butter.
- Add onion and cook over low heat about 2 minutes, add flour and cook another minute, or until the flour is golden and well combined.
- Add milk and chicken broth and whisk, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil; cook about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes smooth and thick.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce is thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked macaroni and broccoli and mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more cooking spray on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then grill for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.
Serves 8 – Serving Size: 1 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 315, Fat: 9g, Protein: 17g, Carbohydrate: 44g, Fibre: 6g, Sugar: 4g