Salmon is loaded with heart-healthy omega-3 and these salmon cakes are pretty easy to make. You can assemble them ahead of time, then put them in your oven when you are ready to eat them. In the second recipe the cakes are baked rather than frying and they still turn out tasting wonderful and lower in calories!
~ Lower Calorie Baked Salmon Cakes ~
- 1/2 pound salmon fillet, fresh or frozen (if frozen thaw overnight in the refrigerator)
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 1 1/2 cups small-diced celery (4 stalks)
- 1/2 cup small-diced red bell pepper (1 small pepper)
- 1/2 cup small-diced yellow bell pepper (1 small pepper)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Season salmon with salt.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; when hot lightly spray with oil and add the salmon.
- Cook until browned on one side, about 4 to 5 minutes then turn and cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until salmon easily flakes. Set aside on a dish to cool.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, then add the the onion, celery, red and yellow bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot sauce, Old Bay seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large saute pan over medium-low heat and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately 18 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Flake the salmon into a large bowl.
- Add the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, and eggs.
- Add the vegetable mixture and mix well.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, this will make them easier to shape and become less sticky.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape the mixture into 15 cakes and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake about 10 to 12 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Serves 15 – Serving Size: 1 cake – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 87, Fat: 3 g, Protein: 7 g, Carbohydrate: 8 g, Fibre: 1 g, Sugar: 1 g