This is an Italian classic, lightened up. Baking the cutlet as opposed to frying really lightens this dish up while remaining moist and full of flavour. It’s perfect for a week night yet good enough to serve to company – serve this over pasta or with a large salad to keep it on the lighter side.
Lower Calorie Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 4 (about 8 oz each) chicken breast, fat trimmed, sliced in half to make 8
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (or olive oil)
- 3/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara or Filetto di Pomodoro
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Spray a large baking sheet lightly with spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in another bowl.
- Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb mixture.
- Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Lightly spray a little more oil on top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken over, bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, spoon 1 tbsp sauce over each piece of chicken and top each with 1 1/2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serves 8 – Serving Size: 1 piece – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 251, Fat: 9g, Protein: 31g, Carbohydrate: 14g, Fibre: 2g