Creamy risotto, cooked with asparagus, fresh herbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano and a touch of lemon. Perfect as a meatless main dish if you use vegetable broth, or wonderful as a side with grilled shrimp. The video shows you how to make asparagus and pea risotto.
Asparagus is perfect addition to risotto, and this spear-shaped veggie is an awesome weapon for your health. It’s packed with disease-fighting nutrients including fibre, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K and it’s loaded with age-defying antioxidants that work to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals in your body. Look for spears with tight buds and firm stalks without wrinkles.
~ Lower Calorie Asparagus Risotto ~
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 oz dry white wine
- 3/4 lb thin asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed, cut 2-inches long
- 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
- salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat broth over medium-high heat.
- When it boils, reduce heat to a simmer and maintain over low heat, taste for salt and adjust as needed.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and add the shallots; sauté 3-4 minute.
- Add the rice; mix well so the rice is coated throughout and saute until the rice is slightly translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed.
- Add a ladleful of the simmering stock; stir and wait until it is absorbed before adding another ladleful stirring gently and almost constantly.
- Continue this process until the rice is creamy, tender to the bite, but slightly firm in the centre.
- Add the asparagus along with the last ladle of broth and continue cooking 5 minutes, total time should be about 25-30 minutes from the time you started.
- When all the liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice,
parsley and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh cracked pepper, lemon zest, and extra grated cheese if desired.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 generous cup as a main – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 255, Fat: 4g, Protein: 9g, Carbohydrate: 43g, Fibre: 2g