Chicken and rice is the ultimate one dish meal and if you serve this with hot sauce or Colombian aji picante and a simple green salad on the side it is healthy and satisfying.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp sazon
- about 1/2 tsp adobo powder
- about 1/2 garlic powder
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 spring onions
- 2 tbsp bell pepper
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 1/2 cups enriched long grain rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- salt to taste (about 2 tsp)
- Season chicken with vinegar, 1/2 tsp sazon, adobo and garlic powder and let it sit 10 minutes.
- Heat a large deep heavy pan on medium, add 2 tsp oil when hot.
- Add chicken and brown 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove and set aside.
- Place onion, cilantro, garlic, scallions and pepper in mini food processor.
- Add remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and sauté onion mixture on medium-low until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato, cook another minute.
- Add rice, mix well and cook another minute.
- Add water, bouillon (be sure it dissolves well) and remaining sazon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Taste for salt, should taste salty enough to suit your taste, add more as needed.
- Add chicken and nestle into rice, bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low until most of the water evaporates and you see the liquid bubbling at the top of the rice line, then reduce heat to low heat and cover.
- Make sure the lid has a good seal, no steam should escape (You could place a piece of tin foil or paper towel in between the lid and the pot if steam escapes).
- Cook 20 minutes without opening the lid. Shut heat off and let it sit with the lid on an additional 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and eat!
Serves 8 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 311, Fat: 5 g, Protein: 18 g, Carbohydrate: 48 g, Fibre: 0.6 g