Walking is a great way to improve your health and overall fitness and this activity will melt away the pounds, tone your flabby bits and leave you on an emotional high. This form of exercise does not require gym membership or a personal trainer. It is free, enjoyable and already a part of everyday life. All you need to do is correct your technique, walk faster and for longer, and you will lose weight.
Recent Studies Have Found:
- People who walked for at least four hours a week gained less weight (an average 9lb less) than couch potatoes as they got older.
- Regular walking helps to prevent peripheral artery disease (which impairs blood flow in the legs and causes leg pain in one-fifth of elderly people).
- Walking can even prevent colds. People who walked every day had 25 per cent fewer colds than those who were sedentary.
- Because walking is a weight-bearing exercise, it can also help prevent the bone disease osteoporosis.
- Walking makes you feel good about yourself and for people suffering from depression, walking three to four times a week for 30 minutes has been shown to enhance their mood.