The more you sit, the fewer calories you’re burning. When you are sitting, the activity in your muscles drops and the calorie-burning rate decreases. This workout is an amazing head-to-toe stretching series that was created in order to engage your core, align your spine, increase oxygen to your body, and maximize circulation through a unique combination of total-body stretching exercises.
Get Better Posture
- Make sure your seat height is at a level where you feet can sit flat on the floor. Not just the balls of your feet, the entire foot should be able to touch the floor; and try not to cross your legs or sit on one foot tucked under your buttock while you are at your desk.
- Apparently sitting at a 135 degree angle is the magic number for postural benefits.
Combat Afternoon Drowsiness
- Try sitting tall and extending one arm towards the ceiling and inhale. Imagine that you are trying to reach for a high apple on a tree branch and once you reach as far as you can, maintain the reach and slowly exhale with the intention of sending your hip and thigh down into your chair.
- Try that two times on each side as this helps to release tension in your diaphragm.
- Sitting compresses the diaphragm and if you don’t ever adjust your posture while you sit, you take in less oxygen with each breath you take. That’s why you feel tired in the middle of the day.