One of the healthiest foods around, mushrooms not only taste delicious and go with all savoury foods, they are loaded with vitamin D, antioxidants, copper, selenium, vitamin b2 and b3, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, and fibre. A low calorie, high protein, food – mushrooms also assist with your immune system, fight cancer, help lower cholesterol and help you lose weight, and protect you from many cancers.
Learn about all white, cremini, portabella, shiitake, and chantrelle mushrooms in this ‘Mushroom 101’.
- Weight management – One study found that substituting red meat with white button mushrooms can help enhance weight loss.
- Improved nutrition – Another study found that mushroom consumption was associated with better diet quality and improved nutrition.
- Decrease risk of cancer – Mushrooms contain antioxidants, which is what helps your body fight off free radicals and may help decrease your risk of cancer.
- Mushrooms can increase vitamin D levels through your diet.
- Mushrooms can help to improve immune system function.