These stuffed peppers are loaded with flavour and make a great dinner with a salad on the side. Not all stuffed peppers are cooked in tomato sauce and if you use ground lean turkey and rice you get a healthy, low calorie meal. This video recipe is a healthier version of stuffed peppers using lean ground turkey, fat free cheese, and brown rice! Its so delicious and good for you – make extra so you can have leftovers for lunch.
- 1 lb lean chopped turkey meat
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- Olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Spray a little olive oil spray in a medium size saute pan and heat on a medium flame.
- Add onion, garlic and cilantro to the pan. Saute about 2 minutes and add ground turkey.
- Season with salt and garlic powder, and cumin and brown meat for several minutes until meat is completely cooked through.
- Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- Combine cooked rice and meat together.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Place in a baking dish.
- Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half and fill it with as much as you can.
- Place all stuffed pepper halves on the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese and serve.
Serves 6 – Serving Size (1/2 pepper) – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 185, Fat: 2g, Protein: 21g, Carbohydrate: 20g, Fibre: 2g