Learn how to make a Tomato Bisque that is velvety and creamy, high in fibre and low in fat. Serve this with a little fresh basil and some grated Parmigiano Reggiano. The lower calorie recipe is below the video and is simply delicious!
~ Lower Calorie Tomato Bisque ~
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 3 cloves garlic
- 30 oz fresh plum tomatoes, peeled
- 32 oz fat free chicken broth or vegetarians could use vegetable broth
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 10 basil leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- Parmigiano Reggiano for serving (optional)
- To peel the tomatoes, boil a large pot of water. When boiling, drop the tomatoes in the water to blanch one minute, or until the skin cracks. Quickly remove from the water, let it cool a few minutes and the skin will come right off.
- Chop onions, carrots, celery and garlic using a mini food processor or chopper.
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add butter until melted, then add chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Cook stirring often until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken (or vegetable) broth and tomatoes, stirring well.
- Using a string or a rubber band, tie herbs together and drop into the soup. This will make it easy to remove later.
- Add salt and fresh pepper, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove herbs and discard, add sour cream and blend with a hand blender until smooth. (A regular blender would work, but be sure to let the soup cool before blending and fill only halfway in the blender so it doesn’t explode on you).
- Ladle into bowls and top with freshly grated cheese and fresh basil. Makes 8 cups.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 2 cups – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 126, Fat: 4 g, Protein: 5 g, Carbohydrate: 19 g, Fibre: 5 g