These are two great recipes for a meatless Monday starting with Sweet Potato & Eggplant Curry, also known as Indian Brinjal Masala. Below the video we also have a lower calorie Aubergine, Chickpea & Sweet Potato Curry. Garam masala is a useful mix for adding authenticity to Indian dishes without cluttering up the cupboard with endless spice jars. This flavourful, make-ahead curry will be popular with vegetarian guests.
Aubergine, Chickpea & Sweet Potato Curry
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp each garam masala and black onion seeds
- 1½tsp turmeric
- 5cm (2in) fresh root ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large aubergine, cut into 2cm (¾in) cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm (¾in) cubes
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 410g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Large handful coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 10 min until softened.
- Stir in garam masala, black onion seeds, turmeric, ginger and garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Stir in the aubergine and sweet potatoes and fry for 5 min.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 min, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas and chopped coriander, then check the seasoning.
- Serve with boiled rice, garnished with extra coriander.
If you want to freeze this to use later, prepare the curry to end of step 5, cool, then transfer to a container and freeze for up to one month.
To serve, defrost in the fridge then reheat gently in pan, then complete the recipe.
Serves 6 – Serving Size 1/6 of recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 210, Fat: 6g, Carbohydrate: 35g, Sugar: 12g