Sweet potatoes are incredibly versatile, naturally sweet, loaded with nutrients and fibre, and low in calories. In this recipe they are simply sliced and cooked to make the perfect crust for a quiche.
Spinach & Feta Quiche
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350°, then peel and slice the sweet potatoes.
- Coat a pie dish with cooking spray, then fill the bottom of the dish with a layer of sweet potato slices. Cut the sweet potato rounds in half and fill around the edges of the pie dish; round side facing up. Once the entire dish is filled, season and coat one more time with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and spinach; sauté 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Combine milk, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, eggs and egg whites in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Arrange spinach mixture in crust and pour the egg mixture over spinach.
- Sprinkle with feta.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes and then let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 4 wedges.
Serves 4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 196, Fat: 8g, Protein: 12g, Carbohydrate: 18g, Fibre: 4g
For even more flavour you can add cooked bacon, use mozzarella and Parmesan instead of feta and you could also add garlic to the spinach mixture.