Enjoy these sweet, crumbly biscuits piled high with juicy strawberries and whipped cream. The classic recipe contains 715 calories, but with this recipe, you get a delicious biscuit, berries, and cream with almost 500 fewer calories than the original. Ready in just 25 minutes and perfect for fresh berries, this recipe makeover also saves you nearly 31 grams of fat.
- 5.6 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3.6 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups very cold fat-free buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- Place butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at HIGH for 1 minute or until melted.
- Add cold buttermilk, stirring until butter forms small lumps.
- Add oil and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated (do not overmix) and batter pulls away from sides of bowl. (Batter will be very wet.)
- Drop batter into 12 mounds (about 2 heaped tablespoonfuls each) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until golden.
- While the biscuits bake, slice strawberries.
- Combine strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice; toss to coat. Set aside.
- Place yoghurt, cream, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Split biscuits; fill with berry mixture and cream.
Serves 12 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 224, Fat: 9g, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrate: 32g, Fibre: 2g
Serving size: 1 biscuit, about 1/3 cup strawberries, and about 1 1/2 tablespoons cream mixture