This rice pie is amazingly delicious and is one of those recipes that works hot, cold, or at room temperature and can be eaten with a spoon, fork, or fingers. There are so many variations that can be done with it, for example, with some ham and cheese it would be amazing too.
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup non fat (or low fat) milk
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce package of spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups of pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 cup of Feta cheese, crumbled in large pieces (not crumbs)
- Salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 425.
- Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs, egg whites, milk
and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for a few minutes or until they are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in garlic and spinach and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Transfer veggie mixture to a large bowl and stir in rice and Feta cheese and egg mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies and then transfer everything into the pie pan.
- Smooth out the top using a spatula.
- Bake the ‘pie’ for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool for a few minutes before cutting up.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 260, Fat: 10g, Carbohydrate: 30g, Fibre: 3g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 12g