This is a good rice dish, and if you love spicy beef this is something you will enjoy. This recipe has been made lower calorie by adding more vegetables and using lean beef. A quick to prepare and tasty dish – the perfect after work meal.
This video shows you how to make perfect Thai jasmine rice without having to use a rice cooker.
~ Spicy Thai Beef & Jasmine Rice ~
In this recipe the rice cooks with steam. Let the water evaporate away until it just covers the top of the rice, then cover it and reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Also, make sure your rice pot is thick so it doesn’t burn.
- 3/4 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 carrots thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp Asian fish sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat a heavy medium pot over high heat.
- Add beef and saute until browned.
- Add onion, spring onions, garlic, crushed red pepper and 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- Saute another 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, red pepper, rice, 2 cups water, fish sauce and remaining soy sauce.
- Reduce to low heat, when the water is almost evaporated, cover.
- Simmer on low about 20 minutes.
- Add cilantro and mix well and keep covered for 10 more minutes.
If you have any leftovers, add a little water and soy sauce, stuff it into hollowed out green peppers, cover and bake. Perfect! The peppers add more bulk without adding many calories, one medium pepper has about 24 calories. It would probably be great stuffed into zucchini too!
Serves 5 – Serving Size: 1 cup – Nutrition per Serving
Calories: 288, Fat: 9g, Carbohydrate: 38g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 14g