If you are a fan of meatballs but you want to make changes to your lifestyle, meatballs can still be included in your meals – you just have to make a healthier version. So why not try this scrummy healthy meatball pasta bake that is full of flavour, low on fat and can be enjoyed without feeling guilty!
- 500g Extra lean beef mince
- 90g grated reduced fat cheddar
- 400g Pasta
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 200g Pasatta
- 150g button mushrooms
- 1 Red pepper
- Handful of fresh basil
- 1/2 white onion
- Dried mix herbs
- 1 shallot
- 1 Chilli
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Tsp Cajun spice
- Salt & Black pepper
- 1 tsp sweetener
- tbsp fresh Parsley
- Worcester sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions, drain and set aside.
- Finely chop onion, garlic and parsley (or add to a mini chopper and blend) and add to mince. Season with salt, pepper, Cajun spice and Worchester mix together well and roll into meatballs.
- Finely slice mushrooms. Cut mushrooms into small squares. Finely chop shallot, garlic and chilli, tear up the basil leave into small pieces.
- Add frylight to a pan and heat, add meatballs and cook until brown.
- Add frylight to a saucepan and fry off the mushrooms, shallots, garlic and chilli. When soften add tomatoes, passata, tomato puree and mix herbs. Season with salt and black pepper. Add sweetener to reduce the acid taste and cook for a further 10 minutes. Add basil 1 minute before the sauce is cooked.
- Add meatballs and sauce to the pasta, mix in well.
- Transfer to a oven proof dish, sprinkle with grated cheese and
bake in a 180′c oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.