This recipe uses frozen shrimp to make a fresh and spicy meal full of flavour! Frozen shrimp tend to be the only kind you can buy; but when making recipes like this a larger size with shells on help to make a rich shrimp stock.
Lower Calorie Shrimp Etouffee
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp of all purpose flour (1 tsp corn starch for gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 lb of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp hot sauce, to taste
- 1 medium spring onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt to taste
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, green bell pepper, garlic and celery and saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, cajun spice, bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Mix the flour and water and stir into the tomato mixture.
- Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Lightly season the shrimp with the Cajun seasoning and add immediately to the tomato mixture.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce; stir together.
- Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes, or until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, adjust salt if needed.
- Add chopped green onion and parsley and serve.
Serves: 4 – Serving Size: 1/4th – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 212, Fat: 5g, Carbohydrate: 18g, Fibre: 4g, Sugar: 8g, Protein: 26g