These are great at any time of year, and fabulous cooked on the barbecue! Here are two quick kebab recipes, the first uses shrimp, scallops, zucchini, onions, and red peppers. Season the veggies and fish with crushed red pepper, salt and an easy marinating sauce. Make the sauce with olive oil, lemon and black pepper.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) firm white fish fillets, boned and skinned
- 8 raw tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- 4 baby courgettes, trimmed and each cut into 4 pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
For the marinade
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon or basil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the marinade place all the ingredients in a large non-metallic bowl and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Cut the fillets into 16 equal-size chunks.
- Place the fish in the marinade, add the prawns and mix.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Line the grill pan with foil. Just before cooking, preheat the grill for 5 minutes on its highest setting.
- Lift the fish and prawns out of the marinade (reserve the marinade).
- Thread 2 chunks of fish, 1 prawn, 2 pieces of courgette, and 2 tomatoes onto each of the 8 skewers.
- Arrange the skewers on the grid of the grill pan and brush with the marinade.
- Reduce the grill heat to medium-high.
- Grill the kebabs, about 10cm (4in) from the heat, for about 10 minutes, turning them twice and brushing with the marinade and keep an eye on them, as they cook quickly.
- Check that the fish is opaque in the centre.
- Serve the fish and vegetables on the skewers on a large platter, or slide them off and serve them on individual plates.
Serves 4 – Serving Size 2 skewers – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 341, Fat: 3g