This light and healthy version of Seafood Gumbo skips a lot of excess fat and calories while still maintaining an amazing taste. As with all traditional gumbos, the base is a roux that is slowly browned, and adds wonderful texture and flavour to the dish. Okra is a staple in most gumbos so you can also add this if you wish.
- ¼ Cup of Flour
- 1 Onion
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 Garlic
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp file powder
- ½ lb turkey sausage
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Catfish Fillets
- 14 Large Shrimp
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cooked brown rice
- Place flour in ungreased pan cook on med-high heat until dark.
- In a separate pan add the butter and oil.
- Add in diced pepper and onion.
- Cook 5 min.
- Add loosely cut and smashed garlic, bay leaf, thyme and file powder and mix
- Remove the casing from the turkey sausage and add this to the pan and cook gently
- Add browned flour, diced tomatoes, and Cajun Seasoning
- Add chicken broth and simmer for 20 min
- Cut the catfish into large pieces and add it with the shrimp.
- Continue cooking until the fish and shrimp are fully cooked.
- Serve over rice.
Serves 4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories 293, Fat 7g