Asiago is a type of Italian cheese that is crumbly in texture, it is usually grated and can be used in cooking and making sauces. Scones are usually made with quite a lot of butter but this lower calorie recipe uses less butter, avoiding a ton of calories and that has to be good for your diet!
~ Lower Calorie Savoury Zucchini Asiago Tomato Scones ~
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chilled whipped butter (must be cold), cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed of all moisture
- 2.5 oz Asiago cheese, shredded
- 2.75 oz (just under 2/3 cup) sun dried tomatoes, minced
- 1-1/2 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- cooking spray
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the buttermilk and egg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine the flours with the baking powder and salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Squeeze all the excess moisture from the zucchini with a paper towel, you should have 1 cup after it’s all squeezed.
- In a bowl combine the zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, cheese and rosemary.
- Cut in the chilled butter with a pastry blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gently fold in the cheese, zucchini, sun dried tomatoes and rosemary.
- Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist, without overworking the dough.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands.
- Form dough into an 10-inch circle onto the baking sheet, about 3/4″ thick, you may need to sprinkle a little more flour on top if it’s too sticky.
- Using a knife, cut dough into 12 wedges all the way through.
- Brush egg white over dough.
- Bake until golden, about 20 – 22 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Serve warm.
Serves 12 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 142, Fat: 5g, Carbohydrate: 18g, Fibre: 2g, Protein: 6g, Sugar: 2g