This is a rich and creamy risotto, infused with the flavours of various herbs, cheese and mushrooms. This lower calorie recipe makes a creamy risotto that uses vegetables that you can enjoy as a main course or serve as smaller portions for a starter.
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped into thirds
- 160g pack ready-shelled fresh garden peas (or use frozen)
- 900ml/1½pt vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter, plus extra for serving (optional)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 225g/8oz Arborio or carnaroli rice
- 1 large glass white wine
- 4-5 tbsp fresh Parmesan, grated, plus extra for shavings to garnish (if you have the rind, save and throw it into stock or risotto mixture for extra flavour; use alternative cheese if strict vegetarian as Parmesan
- In a pan of boiling, salted water add asparagus and cook
for 3 – 5 mins or till just beginning to soften.
- Drain, refresh in cold water and drain again.
- Add peas to a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 2 mins. Then drain, refresh and drain again.
- Keep asparagus and peas to one side.
- Add stock to a large pan and put it on a low heat.
- In a large frying pan add oil and butter and heat gently.
- Add onion and cook on a low heat till it begins to turn transparent, but do not brown at all. Then stir in the rice so every grain gets coated with buttery juices.
- Pour in wine and cook for 2-3 mins till alcohol evaporates, then add a couple of ladles of stock and stir.
- Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, as rice absorbs it. Stir continually to prevent it from sticking.
This will take about 15-20 mins, when rice will be cooked but still have a bit of a bite to it.
- Next, stir in vegetables and let them heat through, then add Parmesan and stir.
- Taste and season if needed.
- For an extra creamy risotto, stir in a little butter to serve.
Serves 4 – Serving Size 1/4 recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 294, Fat: 12g