These Chocolate Dipped Pavlovas with Strawberries are less than 150 calories per serving. You don’t have to use strawberries you can use whatever fruits are in season such as raspberries, blackberries or even peaches. You can even try tropical fruits such as papaya, banana, mango and kiwis for a change.
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces good-quality bitter-sweet chocolate
A stand mixer is best for this recipe, but if you just have hand held beaters, getting to stiff peaks takes about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Whip egg whites with cream of tartar in a stand mixer until foamy.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and whip until whites are stiff and glossy.
- Gently whisk in cornstarch and vinegar.
- Don’t over beat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spoon egg whites into six separate piles and smooth into disks with a spatula.
- Reduce oven to 250 and bake one hour.
- Turn off oven, open door and let pavlovas cool to room temperature, about another hour.
- Gently toss strawberries with remaining teaspoon sugar and lemon juice (or balsamic). Let stand 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Dip the bottom of each pavlova into chocolate and return to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place pavlovas in refrigerator until chocolate is set, about 5 minutes.
- Divide pavlovas among plates and top with strawberries.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 146, fat: 4g, carbohydrate: 27g, fibre: 2g, protein: 2g