Pasta Con Sarde is a traditional Italian dish from Sicily in the Palermo region. Many people have a few cans of sardines tucked away in their kitchen and making this sardine sauce served over pasta is a great way to use them. It’s a unique combination of fennel, sardines and raisins, served over pasta and topped with toasted breadcrumbs.
~ Lower Calorie Pasta Con Sarde ~
- 6 tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs
- butter flavoured cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 anchovies
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped and steamed
- 1 14.5 oz can pasta con sarde seasoning
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 chicken bouillion
- 12 oz high fibre spaghetti
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Toast breadcrumbs until golden, careful not to burn. Set aside.
- Sauté onions and anchovies in oil on medium heat until anchovies melt and onions are golden, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, 4 oz water and pasta con sarde seasoning and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked cauliflower, chicken bouillion and pepper to taste and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- When pasta is cooked, divide pasta in 6 bowls (about 1 cup each).
- Top each bowl with sauce and 1 tablespoon toasted breadcrumbs and serve.
Serves 6 – Serving Size: 1/6th – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 323, Fat: 8g, Protein: 13g, Carbohydrate: 56g, Fibre: 12g