Soup is the perfect one pot meal. Vegetarians can swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth and this is also perfect for Meatless Mondays. Mushrooms are loaded with important vitamins and minerals, including heart-protecting copper, B vitamins and antioxidants. If you don’t like mushrooms, you can swap them for a vegetable do you like. This is delicious, warm and satisfying, with tortellini in every bite. Top this with some fresh shaved Parmigiano Reggiano and you’ll experience a wonderful taste sensation.
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups fat free chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 5 oz shitaki mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small Parmigiano Reggiano rind
- 9 oz three cheese tortellini
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the celery, onion, carrot and garlic.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken broth, water, mushrooms, rind and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- When broth boils, add salt to taste and black pepper; stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer until mushrooms are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook according to package directions for al dente.
- Once cooked, remove the rind, stir to combine and garnish with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano if desired.
Serves 8 – Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 138, Fat: 4g, Carbohydrate: 19g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 7g, Sugar: 2g