This is a fast and fresh vegetarian dish made with mushrooms, carrots, peas, corn, and onions, all topped with garlic mashed potatoes. It is so tasty you won’t even miss the meat. The video shows you how to make a hearty vegetarian shepherd’s pie recipe made with a delicious mushroom, lentil, and kale filling, topped with tangy sour cream mashed potatoes.
- Garlic mashed potatoes or roughly 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes<
- 1 ounce freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds Portobella mushrooms, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 7 ounces 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- If using, prepare the garlic mashed potatoes according to directions.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the butter and oil.
- Add the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, carrots, parsley, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and sauté 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle vegetables with the flour, stir to coat and cook, scraping brown bits from the pan.
- Add the broth, peas and corn, cook, stirring often, until sauce has thickened.
To assemble: Preheat grill to high.
- Transfer vegetables to an 8” x 11” casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes in an even layer over the vegetables.
- Top with parmesan and grill for 5 minutes, or until top is golden.
- Garnish with parsley.
- 2 lbs (4 medium) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 tbsp light butter
- salt to taste
- dash of fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs of choice: parsley, thyme, tarragon
- Put potatoes and garlic in a large pot with salt and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and return potatoes and garlic to pan.
- Add sour cream and remaining ingredients.
- Using a masher, mash until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 5 – Serving Size: 3/4 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Garlic Mashed Potatoes – Calories: 159, Fat: 2g, Carbohydrate: 32g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 5g
Serving Size 1 & 1/2 cups, Nutrition Per Serving
Shepherd’s Pie – Calories: 312, Carbohydrates: 50g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 9g, Fibre: 8g, Sugar: 9g