These tasty mini frittatas are a welcome addition to any breakfast or lunch. Packed with great flavour from ham and caramelized onions, they’re loaded with protein, too. These 100-calorie bites will keep you satisfied longer than your typical snack. You may substitute six strips of lean bacon for the ham and still stay under 100 calories. Muffin tins make the perfect portions and they’re easy to have as a quick, protein-rich snack or quick breakfast.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 ounces ham steak, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups red onion, cut across in 1/8-inch-thick half moons
- 6 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 12-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the ham and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Turn and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining oil and the onions to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the onions stirring occasionally, until they are translucent and very soft, 11 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly beat the whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl.
- Add the thyme, salt and all but 2 tablespoons of the cheese and whisk until well-blended.
- Stir in the ham and onions.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time into the prepared muffin pan.
- Divide the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves 12 – 89 calories per serving