Instead of loading up on butter and cream, you can use mashed cauliflower to thicken and flavour this sauce. It’s a great way to sneak vegetables into your family’s meal plan, and your kids cannot taste the difference! Cauliflower recipes are rich in nutrients and anti-cancer properties, so you can’t go wrong.
Not keen on using cauliflower? This healthy recipe for Alfredo Sauce cuts down on the fat and calories.
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk (skim may be used, but creates a thinner sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 dash pepper
- Melt butter in sauce pan on stove top with medium heat.
- Gradually whisk in flour – This will create a yellow paste.
- Gradually add milk, whisking until incorporated and no lumps are present.
- Continue to whisk until hot, this usually takes 3 – 5 minutes.
- The longer you cook the base without the cheese, the thicker the sauce will be.
- Add parmesan slowly, again whisking until incorporated.
- Add crushed garlic and pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and serve with grilled chicken or pour over meat filled pasta.
Serves 4 – Serving Size 1/4 recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 91.2, Fat: 6 g, Carbohydrate: 5.6 g, Fibre: 0.1 g, Sugar: 3.2 g, Protein: 3.9 g