Breaded chicken cutlets baked in the oven and served with spring greens or arugula, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. The video shows you how to make this and the recipe is a lightened up version that is much more figure-friendly, and perfect to make with ripe tomatoes.
Baked Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad and Tomatoes
For the Salad:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups baby arugula
For the chicken:
- 24 oz (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese (or parmesan)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- olive oil spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil and balsamic.
Add tomatoes, basil and onions; season with salt and pepper.
Set aside at least 10 minutes so the juices combine.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place a large baking pan in the oven to get hot.
- Combine breadcrumbs and grated cheese in one bowl.
- In another bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Lightly pound chicken breasts into cutlets, you should have 6.
- Wash and dry cutlets well with paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
- Dip cutlets into lemon/oil mixture, then into breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven and spray with cooking spray. Place the chicken on the baking sheets and spray with olive oil spray on top.
- Bake chicken, turning once halfway through for about 15 minutes total, or until chicken is golden.
- Remove from the oven and top with arugula and tomato salad on top.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving
For 3 oz chicken with salad – Calories: 250, Fat: 8g, Carbohydrate: 17g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 24g
Just for the baked Chicken Cutlets – 1 cutlet from 4 oz raw – Calories: 198, Fat: 6g, Carbohydrate: 11g, Fibre: 1g, Protein: 24g