Creamy macaroni and cheese is a recipe for comfort, while mustard, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce add some zip. Try making this stove-top dish with any short pasta, such as fusilli, farfalle, or cavatappi, or experiment with different cheeses.
- 4 cups uncooked medium elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, place flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Drop cream cheese by teaspoonfuls into milk mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until thick and cream cheese melts, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in mustard, Worcestershire, and garlic; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Combine pasta and cheese sauce in a large bowl; toss well.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving:
Calories: 252, Fat: 8g, Protein: 15g, Carbohydrate: 31g, Fibre: 1g