Tender lamb grilled with fragrant Mediterranean herbs and garlic is a popular feature of Greek cookery. These recipes use marinated lamb kebabs served with a dollop of minty yoghurt. They have such incredible flavours and no plate to wash up at the end of it! You could use the souvlakia as a filling for mini pitta breads if you wanted to instead.
Greek Lamb Souvlakia – Slimming World Recipe
- 350g lean lamb fillet
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano and rosemary
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Cut the lamb fillet into small cubes.
- In a bowl, mix together the onion, garlic, herbs, cumin, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Add the lamb and stir gently until it is completely coated in the marinade mixture. Set aside in a cool place to marinate for about 1 hour.
- Remove the lamb from the marinade and cook under a preheated hot grill or on a barbecue for 4-5 minutes, until crisp and a little charred. Turn the lamb over occasionally so that it cooks evenly. Do not overcook; ideally, lamb should be pink and juicy inside.
- Mix all the minty yogurt ingredients together, serve with the lamb and a crisp salad.
Crisp lettuce, spring onions, sliced juicy tomatoes and chunks of cucumber go well with this dish.
- 150g fat-free natural yogurt
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- A few coriander leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
Mix all the minty yogurt ingredients together and serve with the lamb.