This recipe uses two basic pantry items — tuna and brown rice – plus capers, good quality chopped olives, frozen mixed vegetables and fresh lemon juice. Create this easy, healthy salad loaded with flavour and perfect to pack for lunch or a picnic! If you don’t like tuna you could use tinned salmon or shredded chicken and it will taste just as good!
~ Lower Calorie Italian Tuna and Rice Salad ~
- 2 cans (4 oz each drained) canned tuna in oil, drained
- 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice
- 8 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables cooked and cooled
- 1/4 cup good quality sliced black olives
- 2 tbsp drained capers (plus 1 tbsp of the brine)
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (used from the can)
You can use canned tuna packed in water or canned black olives – but it won’t taste as good.
- Drain the tuna well reserving the oil and set the oil aside.
- In a large work bowl, combine the rice, drained tuna, vegetables, black olives, capers and bell pepper.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the brine from the capers into the bowl along with the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 tablespoon of the oil and toss well.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 157, Fat: 5g, Protein: 10g, Carbohydrate: 17g, Fibre: 3g