This is a hearty and filling dish and makes a super satisfying meal. This gorgeous risotto is a tasty way to enjoy Italian sausages, it is tasty, creamy and as it’s all made in one pan it even saves on the washing up!
- low calorie cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 6 Low fat Italian-style Pork & Beef Sausages
- 200g dried arborio rice
- 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
- 3 tbsp quark
- 5g fresh chives, finely chopped
- 5g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spray a large non-stick saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, shallot, leek, carrot, celery and fennel seeds and fry for 10 minutes, adding a little water if anything sticks.
- Cook the sausages according to the pack instructions and cut each one into six pieces.
- Stir the rice and stock cubes into the veg.
- Add 700ml boiling water a little at a time – letting the rice absorb each batch before you add more – and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the sausages and keep cooking and stirring until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked to your liking (you might need more water).
- Remove from the heat, stir in the quark and herbs and season to taste.
- Enjoy with salad.