In this dish the honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sriracha compliment each other and balance out the sweetness. This simple Asian inspired chicken dish has a balance of flavour combinations – serve this over your favourite rice and dinner is ready!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sriracha hot chilli sauce, or more to taste
- 1 heaping tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 medium spring onions, chopped for garnish
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and season with black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, 1 tbsp water, sesame oil, onion powder and sriracha hot chilli sauce.
- Pour over chicken and cook on low 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken, leaving the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Shred chicken with two forks; set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup water; add to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high until slightly thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes; return chicken to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice and top with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions for garnish.
Serves 8 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 186, Fat: 2g, Protein: 27g, Carbohydrates: 14g, Fibre: 0.7g, Sugar: 10g