Here are two recipes that are perfect for Meatless Mondays, or any night of the week. Both recipes are super easy to make with only a few ingredients, and they are very filling. The first recipe is Hidden Veg pasta Sauce and the second is Butternut Leek Parmesan Sauce, both go well with any type of pasta.
Creamy Butternut Leek Parmesan Sauce
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 8 oz spaghetti or brown rice pasta for gluten-free
- 1 (1 cup) large leek (white part only)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh shaved parmesan cheese
- 4 sage leaves, sliced thin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add butternut squash and cook until soft.
- Remove squash with a slotted spoon and place in a blender, blend until smooth.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions for al dente, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- In a large deep non-stick pan, melt the butter.
- Sauté the leeks and garlic over medium-low heat until soft and golden, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add pureed butternut squash, season with with salt and fresh cracked pepper and add a little of the reserved pasta water to thin out to your liking.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and sage and mix in pasta until well coated.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese on the side.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 266, Fat: 4g, Carbohydrate: 56g, Fibre: 9g, Protein: 10g, Sugar: 2g