Steak fajitas are easy enough to make as a week night meal, or fun to create for a theme party and serve up all your favourite Mexican appetizers.
~ Lower Calorie Grilled Steak Fajitas ~
- 2 lbs flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin (or to taste)
- 2 spring onions, sliced (optional)
- salt + fresh pepper to taste
- 3 medium onions, sliced into long strips
- 3 bell peppers (You can use multi-colours), sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt + fresh pepper to taste
- 12 x 7″ flour tortillas
- Pierce steak with a fork all over to tenderize. Season steak with cumin, garlic, spring onlions, salt and pepper. Allow steak to rest at room temperature at least 10 minutes before grilling.
- In a large pan or cast iron skillet combine onions, peppers, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Place on the BBQ and cook on medium-low heat, tossing occasionally until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes. This could also be cooked inside on the stove as well.
- When the onions and peppers are done, set aside to keep warm on the top rack of your grill; raise the flame of the grill to high flame. Discard spring onion and sear steak 4-6 minutes without moving, turn the steak over and cook a few more minutes until rare or medium rare (well done will be too tough).
- Remove from grill and let it rest a few minutes before cutting.
- Cut meat into small cubes and combine with the cooked onions and peppers and serve with tortillas, cheese, guacamole and sour cream.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving
Serving Size: 2 fajitas (3 oz meat total + onions, peppers + 2 tortillas)
Calories: 298, Fat: 13g, Protein: 29g, Carbohydrate: 30g, Fibre: 16g, Sugar: 2g