Making a Pavlova is quite straightforward, so long as you follow a few basic rules while making the meringue. Top this heavenly Pavlova with fat free whipped topping and fresh berries for a delicious dessert for less than 160 calories!
Lower Calorie Pavlova
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups fat free whipped topping
- 1 1/2 cups sliced berries
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Draw the outline of an upside down 8-9 inch plate on to the parchment.
- Place egg whites in a clean metal or glass bowl.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar, then whisk with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed between each addition.
- Whisk until egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Spoon meringue mixture into a large mound on the outline you drew on the parchment. Keep the edges slightly higher than the centre.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Switch off oven but leave meringue in oven to dry, this takes about 2 – 3 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- When meringue is dry and cool, pile fat free topping and sliced berries on top and serve.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories 153, Carbohydrate 36g, Fibre 1g, Protein 2g