Key lime pie is an easy and delicious dessert. It’s a wonderful, tangy, sweet, and flavourful pie. This lighter recipe has 111 fewer calories and 70 percent less fat than the original, but you’ll taste 100 percent of the cool, tart creaminess of this classic dessert.
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 4 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 large pasteurized egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Serves 8 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 287, Fat: 7g, Protein: 8g, Carbohydrate: 48g, Fibre: 0.4g
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add butter and oil; pulse 5 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drizzle flour mixture with water and vinegar; pulse 10 times or just until combined. Gently press mixture into a 3-inch circle on plastic wrap, and cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface.
- Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap.
- Cover with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap.
- Roll dough, still covered, into a 10-inch circle. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan. Remove remaining plastic wrap.
- Press dough against bottom and sides of pan. Pierce bottom of dough with a fork. Line bottom of dough with a piece of parchment paper; arrange pie weights on paper.
- Bake at 425° for 16 minutes or until edge is lightly browned.
- Remove pie weights and parchment paper; bake an additional 5 minutes or until bottom of crust is lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- To prepare filling, combine rind, juice, egg yolks, and milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until set.
- Remove tart from oven; place on a wire rack.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°.
- To prepare meringue, place cream of tartar and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; beat in vanilla. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edge of crust. Make peaks with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 425° for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.