Cod is a wonderfully flaky fish, that has a subtle flavour. This is a simple recipe that has great crunch, without being fried. It is a quick and easy recipe – even better the serving size is generous too!
Lower Calorie Panko Crusted Cod With Tomato Basil Relish
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 (6-ounce) cod fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place egg whites in a shallow dish; place panko in another shallow dish.
- Dip fish in egg whites; sprinkle fish evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dredge in panko.
- Heat oil in a large oven proof pan over medium-high heat; swirl to coat.
- Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned and very crispy.
- Turn fish over; place pan in oven.
- Bake fish at 450° for 7 minutes or until cooked through.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve with the fish.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 fillet and about 1/3 cup relish – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 255, Fat: 8g, Protein: 33g, Carbohydrate: 9g, Fibre: 1g