Although many people think of macaroons as a combination of ground almonds and egg whites, these macaroons contain sweetened coconut. Bite into one of these sweet tasting gems, still warm from the oven, and you will enjoy the contrast of a crispy exterior to a soft and chewy, coconut flavoured interior. As they are naturally gluten free, you can enjoy them any time of the year!
Making macaroons couldn’t be easier, you simply combine coconut flakes, egg whites, and sugar, simmer on the stove, cool, then bake in the oven.
~ Coconut Macaroons Recipe ~
- 3/4 cup (5 large) egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 10 oz sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In a heavy saucepan combine egg whites, sugar and coconut flakes and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until all the ingredients combine together, about 12-15 minutes.
- The mixture should be sticky and moist, not dry.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almond and vanilla extract.
- Set aside on a dish and let it cool in the refrigerator about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop tightly packed tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake 27 – 30 minutes or until golden – Makes 38 cookies.
Serves 17 – Serving Size: 2 cookies – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 129.2, Fat: 7 g, Protein: 1.8 g, Carbohydrate: 14.5 g, Fibre: 1.1 g, Sugar: 13.4 g