Chicken pot pie is classic comfort food and great one dish meal but just because its rich and creamy doesn’t mean it has to be off limits in a healthy diet. This dish registers just 30 percent of the calories from fat and the root vegetables help balance the flaky topping. You can also bake this in individual (10-ounce) ramekins for the same amount of time.
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled celeriac (celery root)
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices parsnip
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces), divided
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large pan.
- Add peas, potato, sweet potato, celeriac, parsnip and onions to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Add chicken; cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth with a slotted spoon; place in a large bowl.
- Increase heat to medium. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place all but 1 tablespoon flour in a medium bowl; gradually add milk to bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Add milk mixture to broth; cook for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken mixture, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon flour on a work surface; roll dough into a 13 x 9-inch rectangle.
- Place dough over chicken mixture, pressing to seal at edges of dish.
- Cut small slits into dough to allow steam to escape; coat dough lightly with cooking spray.
- Place dish on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 16 minutes or until pastry is browned and filling is bubbly.
Serves 8 – Serving Size 1/8 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 388, Fat: 13g, Protein: 22g, Carbohydrate: 45g, Fibre: 4g