Chicken enchiladas are easy to make and use only a few ingredients. These may not be authentic, but the important thing is that they taste good. The first recipe uses cooked chicken, packaged cream cheese, prepared salsa, and canned pinto beans to help you get dinner on the table fast. Top your enchiladas with grated cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sour cream.
~ Lower Calorie Chicken Enchiladas ~
For the sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
For the chicken
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 8.5 oz (2 breast halves) cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 8 (7-inch) reduced carb whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded low fat Mexican cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onlions or cilantro for topping
- In a medium saucepan, spray oil and sauté garlic.
- Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.
- Place on baking dish seam side down, top with sauce, then top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes.
You can serve these with yellow rice, re-fried beans and a little fat free sour cream topped with chopped spring onions and cilantro, but remember to add on the extra calories for these if you do!
Serves 8 – Serving Size: 1 enchilada – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 160, Fat: 6g, Protein: 16g, Carbohydrate: 18g, Fibre: 8g